Pain and stiffness in lower spine and hip joints. What is the cause and treatment required?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I have a area of my lower back where the spine & hips join about at waist level or a little lower, that is tender to touch. Also I have pain & stiffness there while I sleep, when I arise & when I stand from a sitting position. I am a 64 year old female, quite active. I sometimes have trouble lifting, bending or doing normal everyday activities. This seems to be getting worse with some seemingly hot spots to touch on my back near where the spin & hips XXXXXXX So far OTC pain relievers have helped some, but are now doing little or nothing to help for sleeping or performing daily chores. Any advice? Thank you...XXXXXXX
Posted Fri, 15 Feb 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 2 hours later
Thanks for sharing your concern with us

I went through the details submitted with diligence.I thank you for providing me a detailed account of your problem.These symptoms seems to be part of Lumbosacral spondylosis.

It is a condition in which the lower spine becomes stiff. It is degenerative in nature and is also referred as osteoarthritis of spine. This is usually a painful condition which may lead to some neurological problems as well. The degeneration of spinal vertebra is also called wear and tear of the vertebra; most common reason of wear and tear in vertebrae is aging.

I would suggest getting this evaluated by an orthopedician for an accurate diagnosis and appropriate management. You may get the X-ray/MRI of the area affected under his/her guidance.

Following measures will help with the pain

1. Sleep over hard surface without using mattress,
2. Avoid lifting weights by leaning forward or bending your back. Rather sit and lift the object,
3. Exercises for strengthening your back muscles like lifting legs straight, bending legs over chest, pelvic bridging exercises - twice a day will help you.
4. Anti -inflammatory drugs like Tablet Motrin 1 tablet as and when required
5. Avoid strenuous activity & lifting heavy weights
6. Apply diclofenac gel on the affected area. Warm compresses will also help.

Hope this will help you. Let me know if you have more concerns.

Wishing you good health...

Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.