Pain and stiffness in leg. Feeling difficulty to walk upstairs. What am I suffering from?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I have knee pain which I believe is connected to my back even though my back is not sore. The left side of my right knee gets pain. When I run my hand up the right hand side of the leg it is also sore. I am able to walk fine (for about 2 hours). When I sit for long periods and get up my knee is very stiff and has pain (especially after walking for a while). I noticed after playing (lifting my grandchildren) or running around with them I suffer more with pain in my knee. Walking up stairs is difficult - my knee is weak and sore. I have just been massaging my knee and stretching it while watching the Australian tennis open and it does ease it. Appreciate some advice. Thanks
Posted Thu, 7 Feb 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 2 hours later

Although it isn't possible to diagnose your condition without an examination and a few tests, your history is suggestive of osteoarthritis right knee. Often called wear-and-tear arthritis, osteoarthritis occurs when the protective cartilage on the ends of your bones wears down over time. Osteoarthritis treatments can slow the progression of the disease, relieve pain and improve joint function.

I would suggest getting this evaluated by an orthopedician for detailed examination. You may get the X-ray/MRI, some blood tests and joint fluid analysis under his/her guidance to reach the accurate diagnosis.

The following measures will help with the pain
Do regular Exercise. Exercise can increase your endurance and strengthen the muscles around your joint, making your joint more stable. Stick to gentle exercises, such as walking, biking or swimming.

Lose weight if you are obese- Being overweight or obese increases the stress on your weight-bearing joints, such as your knees and your hips. Even a small amount of weight loss can relieve some pressure and reduce your pain.

Use heat and cold to manage pain. Both heat and cold can relieve pain in your joint. Heat also relieves stiffness and cold can relieve muscle spasms.

Apply over-the-counter pain creams. Creams and gels available at the drugstore may provide temporary relief from osteoarthritis pain.

Take diet XXXXXXX in calcium, vitamin d3 and minerals.

Hope this will help you.

Wishing you good health...

Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.