Pain and stiffness in left hip, radiates to knee and ankle

Question
i have constant aching, throbbing and stiffness in my left hip. it travels down the outer side of leg and makes my knee and ankle ache. iwanna cry sometimes. motrin helps. im a server and work 5-6 days a week. its really achy. this has been going on about 2 months.
Posted Mon, 10 Sep 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Sudhir 19 minutes later

Thanks for the question.

This is most probably because of a pinched nerve or lower limb radiculopathy (Sciatica ).
Common cause is bulging intervertebral discs in the vertebral column that compress on the nerves as they come out of the spinal cord. Symptoms are experienced along the area of distribution/path of that particular nerve.

The treatment vary from conservative to surgery.

Conservative treatment include anti-inflammatory medications, physical therapy or chiropractic treatment, and avoiding activity that strains the neck or back. The majority of radiculopathy patients respond well to this conservative treatment, and symptoms often improve within six weeks to three months.

If patients do not improve with the treatments listed above they may benefit from an epidural steroid injection.

In some cases the symptoms continue despite all of the above treatment options. If this occurs and the symptoms are severe, surgery may be an option.

I would suggest you to see a spine specialist who will take into account severity of your symptoms and MRI findings to guide about the treatment.

Please ask if i have left any of your query unanswered or if there are any doubts.

Regards.