Pain and numbness on the toe. Why?

Hi I have had numbness in the top of my second toe for about 2-3 years. sometimes it hurts a bit and feels like there is something wrapped around it or clamping it
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. James M. Schwartz 46 minutes later
Hello ,

Thanks for the query. I am happy to help you with your question.

This symptom can be caused by medical nerve disease, blood vessel disease or local trauma to tissue, nerves or blood vessels. Medical nerve disease or blood vessel disease should not cause symptoms in only one digit, although these categories should be investigated and ruled out by your doctor. Therefore local trauma is most likely. Anything that impinges or damages a nerve could be responsible, including an ingrown toe nail, or a significant blow to the area. The strange thing about nerves is once damaged, healing may never be complete. So some people have a chronic symptom similar to yours after a crush injury that otherwise heals completely. I had one patient whose toenail fungal infection took up so much space under his nail that his toe was numb from the pressure.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer any follow up regarding this query. Once you are satisfied with all my answer, please accept it.

Best regards,
Dr. Schwartz