Pain and numbness in hand through the heart. Advise and treatment?

ENT Specialist
I have sweet pain and bit of numbness in my left hand. Its bit of numbness from my left little finger to the heart not painfull but bothers me
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Puneet Maheshwari 4 hours later
Thanks for writing in...

Well, I would like to tell you that numbness and tingling are abnormal sensations that can occur anywhere in your body, but are quiet often felt in fingers, hands, feet, arms, or legs.

There are many things that may cause numbness in one's left hand:

- Repetitive-stress motion disorder like Carpal tunnel syndrome
- Nerve damage or disease. For example, a neck injury via nerve damage may cause numbness anywhere along arm or hand.
- Lack of blood supply to Carpal tunnel syndrome (pressure on a nerve at the wrist)
- Diabetes
- Migraines
- Seizures
- Stroke
- Transient ischemic attack (TIA)
- Underactive thyroid
- Raynaud's phenomenon
- Abnormal levels of calcium, potassium, or sodium in the body
- A lack of vitamin B12 or other vitamin
- Use of certain medications
- Nerve damage due to lead, alcohol, or tobacco
- Radiation therapy
- Insect bites

To protect your health, consult with a doctor to determine the cause of left handed numbness.

To make it easier to diagnose your left hand numbness, take notice of when the numbness occurs, record on paper-the date on which you first noticed it.

If symptoms occur at specific times during the day, write this information.

Also record whether or not the numbness begins after a certain activity and how long it lasts.

If you have diabetes, your treating doctor will discuss ways to control your blood sugar levels.

Low levels of vitamins will be treated with vitamin supplements.

If you are taking any medications that cause numbness or tingling; may need to be switched or changed.

Also I would like to tell you that numbness can cause a decrease in sensation so take care to protect the area from cuts, bruises, burns, or other injuries.

I hope I have met with your concerns and I am here for future follow ups.