Pain and numbness in arm, tightness in neck and shoulder. Are thee related to IBS?

Oncologist, Radiation
I have general achiness and at times numbness in left arm. Seems to correlate with IBS symptoms at times. Also have tightness in neck and shoulder at times. It think my primary care doctor think I see him too much with minor issues, and so he never delves deeper into ongoing pains like this
Posted Wed, 27 Feb 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Dipanjan Majumder 22 minutes later

Thanks for asking your queries. I need to know your profession. you have mentioned about IBS. now IBS can be inflammatory bowel disease or gastrointestinal symptoms? I have a few questions.

- what is the exact duration of your symptoms?
-dose it last longer than 2 years?
- have you suffered from any exacerbation of symptoms in a dramatic manner in recent past?
-have you experience any impairment from social and family functioning?
-have you faced any sexual or menstrual problem?

Let me know these in detail. Please mention if any blood tests are done recently. I would like to know serum free TSH level. Please keep me posted. I will be available to give answers of your queries.wish you good health.
Follow-up: Pain and numbness in arm, tightness in neck and shoulder. Are thee related to IBS? 7 hours later
Symptoms have been on/off for past year at least. Some days nothing at all other times cause anxiety due to symptoms. No social/family issues. No sexual/menstrual issues. Last TSH level done in Nov 2012 was 1.290
Answered by Dr. Dipanjan Majumder 32 minutes later
Hi Madam,
Thanks for sending the details.

Your TSH level is within normal limit. If you have done your ESR in recent time, please mention it. Anyway, most of the major organic cause will be ruled out by these simple investigations.

At your age, somatoform disorders are also common. You should not concentrate on your symptoms rather should reinforce normal functioning. Moderate physical exercise daily may be helpful.

You may consider using medications like benzodiazepines or selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors in low doses. I think this will improve your symptoms. Please send me your further queries, I will be available.