Pain and itching near vagina, anus, bleeding during bowel movements. Is this an infection and how do I treat it?

Gastroenterologist
Question
Infection?I have pain and iching near my vagina and anus. Sometimes it hurts to poop and occasionally poop is accompanied with slight bleeding. Do you think this is some kind of infection? And if not do you know what it is? Also what can I do to treat it
Posted Wed, 18 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Poorna Chandra K.S 11 hours later
Hi and thanks for the query

Painful defecation and bleeding on defecation especially where the blood coats the stool is classical of an anal fissure.
Fissure may be secondary to 1) hard stools or a perineal trauma 2) diseases of the rectum and colon like inflammatory bowel disease - This is usually associated with alterations in the bowel frequency and stool consistency.
Anal fissure is a linear tear at the anal verge. The pain from anal verge causes the spasm of the XXXXXXX sphincter muscle and the spasm prevents the fissure from healing. Hence to promote healing of a fissure you need to break this viscious cycle by keeping the stool soft, using analgesics and muscle relaxants like diltiazem/nifidepine cream. Sitz bath also helps

Hope this answers your query.

Dr XXXXXXX