Pain and flickering pulse on the forearm. Should be concerned?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
my left arm where you would take my pulse is flickering fast and also have ache in left arm as well
should i be concerned
Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later

Visible flickering on the forearm is most likely twitching of the muscles. If this is a one time symptom then, you may wait and watch for it to subside on its own. Most of the times, it does. If the flickering is persistent, then endocrine disorders or electrolyte imbalance needs to be ruled out.

Or all these could just be due to some anxiety or stress. In that case this will disappear once you are stress free.

Other causes could be thyroid problem, excessive coffee use, or a nerve entrapment syndrome.

The treatment of most of the conditions is very easy and the condition will resolve on its own. In some cases, prescription medications might be needed to stop severe symptoms.

For arm pain you can take mild pain killer like ibuprofen round the clock after meals for three days.

I hope this answers your query effectively. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Wish you good health.

Dr. Praveen Tayal.