Pain and discomfort in back, shortness of breath, chest pressure, spine tingling. MRI done. Why have additional pictures been requested?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hi. I have been having increasing pain and discomfort in my back, specifically under my right shoulder blade about mid-back. I have also had issues with shortness of breath, chest pressure, tingling in my spine and body aches and pains (intermittent). It started during pregnancy. I have recently had an MRI of the upper and lower spine and was called back today to request additional MRI images with contrast. I know you cannot tell me specifics unless you see the MRI scans however, what possible reasons could prompt additional pictures to be requested? Thank you.
Posted Tue, 25 Sep 2012 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 54 minutes later
Additional images with contrast are needed if there is a lesion in the spine or there is a disc problem to get a closer view of the affected area. It might just come out to be minor degenerative changes or a small tumor. These are the possibilities. It is best to wait for the results before presuming anything.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.