Pain and bruise in ankle. Nerve conduction test and MRI came normal. Snapping/popping ankle?

General Surgeon
Question
Hi, I have all the signs of a snapping/popping ankle. I have had server pain in the left ankle area for over three years now and every morning wake up with intense sharp shooting pain and numbness. I have 24hour pain that runs through the foot. I am currently waiting to see a specialiset I have had an MRI which came back clear and also recently had a nerve conduction test which came back clear. Any suggestions as to what's next ? I have a long dark bruise around the area of pain on the ankle.
Posted Tue, 2 Apr 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 33 minutes later
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

It is possible that your pains are caused by saphene vein insufficiency. Especially if the pain is located more on the medial part of the knee. Saphene vein start in the area of the medial ankle and goes up to the knee and groin. If the vein is insufficient, the blood can not flow upward. It causes increased pressure in the vein, gives pain and leads to varicose veins.
To rule out this condition, Doppler ultrasound of the veins should be performed.
If no pathology in ultrasound, you should see orthopedist and most likely he will schedule your for artroscopy (the medical procedure where the camera is put into the knee).

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.

Follow-up: Pain and bruise in ankle. Nerve conduction test and MRI came normal. Snapping/popping ankle? 10 minutes later
Hi thanks for reply. That is interesting to hear as I do actually have knee pain as well. I'm just worried when I see the specialist who sent me for the Ncs he is going to say there is nothing else.
From Physio treatment I've had you can get you finger in and feel a flicking and tenderness right behind the ankle. The Physio thinks this is the tendon.

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 8 minutes later
You can perform simple test to check if this is veins insufficiency. Wrap your leg with elastic bandage (from foot to hip) with medium pressure in the morning. If it will help with the pain, veins insufficiency is possible.
Tendon is always possible, however the pain should not be present when knee is immobilized. And its hard to imagine tendon pain radiating to the foot. Only nerves, arteries and veins are present in the knee area and foot as well. Nerves pain has been ruled out with ECG (NCS). So we have veins and arteries diseases left to rule out. As you are young person, arteries disease is unlike. That is why veins idea might be correct. And ultrasound is simple test so it is worth to try.

Hope this will help.
Regards.

Follow-up: Pain and bruise in ankle. Nerve conduction test and MRI came normal. Snapping/popping ankle? 5 minutes later
So if its veins what will the specialiset suggest ?

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 3 minutes later
If this is veins problem, surgery will be suggested. If the saphene vein is the problem (the most common reason), either vein laser surgery (from inside of the vein) or simple removal of it will solve the problem permanently.

Hope this will help.
Regards.