Pain along liver meridian, foot edema. Taking buproprion, cymbalta & atenolol. Had an episode of clay colored stool long back.Hep C -ve.

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
I'm a 55 YO woman, 5'8" (was 5'9" until loss of discs), 145 lbs., light smoker, sober 26 years. For the past few months I've been having occasional pain along the liver meridian, right side. More recently, I've noticed pitting ankle/foot edema, 1-1+. Sometimes the left is worse, but usually the right. I take buproprion (300mg), Cymbalta (90 mg), and atenolol (25 mg). Eight years ago I had a brief episode of clay-colored stools. Liver enzymes were normal and the condition resolved spontaneously. I was tested for hep C about 5 years ago and was negative. I don't take any herbal supplements and take acetomeniphen (sorry about the misspelling) maybe once a year. I don't have any fatigue. ?

Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 30 minutes later

The symptoms you describe are concerning. You need to undergo a few tests to truly understand the kind of problem. They include:

1. Liver function tests
2. Ultrasound of the entire abdomen.
3. Stool examination for occult blood
4. Complete blood Count
5. Renal function test.

I encourage you to consult your physician to streamline the test. If these test are already been done, then please post them to me to help you better.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other concern.