Pain after swallowing Pepsi, lightheaded, breathing rapidly, nausea. Have I torn my esophagus?

Early this morning I woke and took a sip of Diet pepse, when I went to swallow it felt like maybe it was going down the wrong tube, I forced myself to swallow, it was not easy. A large amount of pain follwed and I partially fainted (extremley lighheaded and fell to the floor and began breathing rapidly) All day I've been unable to eat, drink or swallow without pain and nausea. I'm concerned I may have torn my esophagus. Is there anything to worry about or can I let this go for a few days to see if it improves?
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 2 hours later

I believe that you need to visit the hospital at the earliest. The main complication that needs to be ruled out here is aspiration. You need to get a chest x-ray and have a chest examination to see if your lungs are clear. You may have fluid in your lungs if you aspirated the drink and that in turn could be fatal. So please do get seen by a doctor at the earliest.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Follow-up: Pain after swallowing Pepsi, lightheaded, breathing rapidly, nausea. Have I torn my esophagus? 34 hours later
The pain is in my stomach, not my chest. I swallowed a huge air bubble. I only have pain when I eat, or drink. I have to take small bites, chew extensivley, and take small swallows and can only eat small amounts at a time. It feels like the pain is coming from the very top entry point of my stomach.
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 1 hour later
Hello again,

Thanks for writing back.

Firstly,i would still like to rule out aspiration as a cause since that too may have similar symptoms.Secondly, esophageal problems also need to be rule out for which contrast xray or endoscopy may be needed.Please get a chest and abdominal xray first. Take liquid antacids for a few days to avoid heartburn.Again i stress that a chest and abdominal examination is very much necessary.