Pain after hysterectomy. Is this normal?

May 2014

Hello, I am still having pain three weeks after my hysterectomy and I'm not sure this is normal. I believe I have over exerted and have done too much. Just wondering if I need to see my doctor or what.
Posted Thu, 7 Nov 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 44 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please find detailed answer below

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing in to us.

If you have had an abdominal hysterectomy, during the first 2 to 3 weeks, it is important to also get plenty of rest. Hold a pillow over your incision when you cough or take deep breaths. This will support your belly and decrease your pain.

You will gradually be able to increase your activities. To help you heal well, avoid lifting more than 20 pounds during the first 4 to 6 weeks after surgery. For the same reason, this is also an important time to avoid vaginal intercourse.

As soon as you can move easily without pain or without using narcotic pain medicine, you can drive. Complete recovery usually takes 4 to 8 weeks. Your return to a work routine will depend not only on how quickly you get back your energy and strength but also on how demanding your work is.

Recovery from a vaginal or laparoscopic hysterectomy takes much less time than from an abdominal surgery.

After a hysterectomy, call your doctor or go to the emergency room if you are having any of the following:

1. You have bright red vaginal bleeding that soaks one or more pads in an hour, or you have large clots.
2. You have foul-smelling discharge from your vagina.
3. You are sick to your stomach or cannot keep fluids down.
4. You have signs of infection, such as:
Increased pain, swelling, warmth, or redness.
Red streaks leading from the incision.
Pus draining from the incision.
Swollen lymph nodes in your neck, armpits, or groin.
A fever.
5. You have pain that does not get better after you take pain medicine.
6. You have loose stitches, or your incision comes open.
7. You have signs of a blood clot, such as:
Pain in your calf, back of knee, thigh, or groin.
Redness and swelling in your leg or groin.
8. You have trouble passing urine or stool, especially if you have pain or swelling in your lower belly.
9. You have hot flashes, sweating, flushing, or a fast or pounding heartbeat.

Hope your query is answered.
Do write back in case you have doubts.