Pain above rib cage, just below breast, gas problems, causes. Treatment ?

hello dr. for the past month i have been feeling pain above my rib cage and just below the breast area. i went to a doctor a few ago for my stomach problems and he thought it was just gas.. but its still there and its annoying.. can u please help me.. yes its on both sides of my rib cages.. except the left side hurts a bit more than the right.
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Pain on the both sides underneath the lower ribs is probably due to-
1.Peptic ulcer disease or Hiatal hernia. Diagnosis can be confirmed by upper GI endoscopy. Try raising the head of your bed about four inches with blocks. It also might help to avoid eating or drinking for two hours before you lie down. To help control the stomach acid, one should not drink alcohol or drinks with caffeine in them, or eat chocolate or spicy or greasy foods. Also take some antacid but if the symptoms are severe, then you may need drugs like proton pump inhibitors.
2.Myositis or muscle pull due to overuse of muscles. Mild antiinflammatory drugs and hot fomentation will help you.
3.Gall bladder disease- can be stones or cholecystitis. An examination by ultrasound scan will help in diagnosis.
4. Hepatitis- liver problems may manifest this way. A simple blood test - liver function tests will help in diagnosing the problem.
5.Bloating due to excessive gas, GERD.The simple measures that are likely to help you are-
1.Certain foods, such as cauliflower, broccoli, cabbage, brussels sprouts and legumes (beans) may worsen bloating and gassiness.
2.Dietary fiber may lessen symptoms.You should drink plenty of water, and avoid soda, which may cause gas and abdominal discomfort.
3.You can use some over the counter drugs like pepto bismol or tums for symptomatic relief.

You need to rule the above conditions with simple tests under your physician's guidance
I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.

Follow-up: Pain above rib cage, just below breast, gas problems, causes. Treatment ? 1 hour later
well maam the pain isnt at the bottom of my ribs but at the top of ribs near the breast area.. thats where i am getting the pain...
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later

Thanks for writing again.

If the pain is in the upper part of your chest then the most likely possibility is of pleuritis - You may have VIRAL BRONCHITIS.

Your pain may be caused by PLEURISY, an irritation of the lining of the lung that is usually caused by a viral infection.

Hard coughing may also cause pain in the muscles and chest wall.

Drink plenty of fluids, and try cold medicines and/or anti-inflammatory medicines and steam inhalation at least twice daily to relieve your symptoms.

See your doctor if the pain continues for more than a few days or if you develop a fever.

Wishing you an early recovery.