Pain above eyeball during frowning or blinking or pressing, happens 3-4 times a week, disappears at night

I am 39 years old, 72 kilos male.
For the past 1-2 months, i get a pain in right eyebrow just above eyeball, and sometimes near right temple. Pain only happens when i frown or blink hard, or press that area with my fingers. Pain killers do not help. Pain comes 3-4 times in a week, and lasts all day. It goes away at night when i sleep.
Posted Sun, 29 Apr 2012 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 12 minutes later

The pain in the eyebrow extending upto right temple not relieved by pain killers could be related to-

1. Raised intraocular pressure due to poor drainage of vitreous from anterior chamber of eye.

2. Tension Headaches- Symptoms include pain in temple. It is felt as pressure or squeezing or tight sensation. Most of the times it is not that sore, more annoying and persistent.

3. Sinusitis: Especially inflammation of frontal sinus.

I encourage you to consult your Eye Specialist for a detailed examination and to find out the exact cause.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful.

I will be available for your further follow up queries if any.

Follow-up: Pain above eyeball during frowning or blinking or pressing, happens 3-4 times a week, disappears at night 1 hour later
Thanks for the reply

My eye pressure was examined and found normal on 3 occasions over the past 2 years. Can it come on suddenly? I do not see any halo around lights.

The pain is only there when I frown, or blink hard or do something that causes a squeezing in that area such as pressing with fingers or tightening the muscles on that side

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 5 hours later

Thanks for writing again.

Intraocular pressure can give rise in short duration depending on the cause. The haloes are seen late in the disease.

Another possibility is inflammation of extraocular muscles- may be a result of hypothyroidism. A simple blood test will rule this out.

Hope this helpful.

Wishing you an early recovery.