Pain above buttocks after lower back injury. No numbness or pain. Should I consult orthopedics?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Fell dowm steps and hit my lower back left side 3 daya ago went to ED and no bones broken or kidney damageI'm ambulating with a cane but have pain aabove left buttocks nearwaist but not at spine cannot bend at waist with out pain and some popping in lower back region I've been restinfg comcortably on my back and no numbness or radiating pain just the spot mentioned above on left side upper butock shall I see a chiropractoror or orthopedics thank you
Posted Thu, 21 Feb 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 58 minutes later
Thanks for posting your query

From description , it seems you might developed muscular or ligamentous strain over lower back.
I would suggest getting this evaluated by an orthopedician for an accurate diagnosis and appropriate management. You may get the MRI of the area affected under his/her guidance.

Meanwhile following measures will help with the pain
• Lie on a hard bed.
• Anti -inflammatory drugs like Tablet Motrin 1 tablet as and when required
• Avoid forward bending.
• Avoid strenuous activity & lifting heavy weights.
• Apply diclofenac gel on the affected area. Warm compresses will also help.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Wishing you good health...
Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.
Follow-up: Pain above buttocks after lower back injury. No numbness or pain. Should I consult orthopedics? 19 minutes later
Thank you doctor final questions shall I try to exercise with ambulation until I get to the orthopedist appt? Will that advance my recovery and strenghtning or make worse? And, what would be the likely treatments with a strained muscle and ligament dx? Estimated recovery time? I must get back to work which is a desk job. Thank you
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 56 minutes later
Thanks for posting your query again

Do not lift weight or try to do exercise that involve painful muscles. Give proper time for the injury to heal. Usually it will take 10-15 days to heal.After initial rest period you need good physiotherapy exercises to strengthen your back for early recovery.

I hope this is helpful to you.