Pacemaker installed, daily walk. Precautions towards aerobics?

ENT Specialist
I have had a pacemaker installed for 30 days now and face 30 more days of boredom, no golf. I have been walking briskly daily for an hour to hour and a half and feel great. Is there any precautions regarding aerobic exercise?
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Answered by Dr. Puneet Maheshwari 1 hour later

Thanks for the query,

Well, after pace maker insertion , you will have to take certain precautions for the proper and efficient working of it.

I will discuss all of them, but first of all regarding the aerobic exercises--AVOID IT for atleat 5 more months, but you may do light housework such as washing dishes and cooking. Avoid lifting , overhead cleaning, and activities that require frequent reaching.

Other precautions---

#Avoid being near areas with high voltage, magnetic force fields, or radiation because these can cause pacemaker malfunction. These areas may include high tension wires, power plants, large industrial magnets and XXXXXXX welding machines.

# Symptoms of pacemaker malfunction are dizziness, lightheadedness or changes in heart rhythm.

• Pacemakers inserted today are not affected by microwave ovens. Pacemakers have built-in safety mechanisms protecting them from this electrical interference.

• When you go to an airport, always carry your pacemaker card with you. Because the pacemaker contains metal, it may trigger an airport metal detector. Explain to the airport attendant that you have a pacemaker so that special arrangements can be made for a security check. The metal detector itself will NOT harm the pacemaker.

• Do not have an MRI (Magnetic Resonance Imaging) test because it can damage your pacemaker.

Call your cardiologist if you have:

severe pain at your pacemaker site

• frequent or constant hiccups

• twitching of your abdominal muscles

• shortness of breath

• dizziness, lightheadedness or blackouts

• signs of infection: drainage, redness, swelling, unusual warmth, extreme tenderness.

Please follow all these instructions, and I am sure, you will not encounter with any problem.

Hope this will help you and I am ready for future follow ups.