PVC gets aggravated with indigestion, gas and belching

Orthopaedic Surgeon
It seems that when I get indigestion and gas with belching it aggregates my pvc's
Posted Thu, 19 Apr 2012 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 7 hours later
Premature ventricular contractions (PVCs) are premature heartbeats originating from the ventricles of the heart.
PVCs can occur in young healthy individuals without any heart disease or associated risk factor. Excessive belching can precipitate such contractions as the food pipe lies next to the heart and any dilatation due to gas causes a physical stimulation to the heart.
The only way to avoid these is by preventing the indigestion.
You can use some OTC medications mentioned below to have some relief.
1. Activated charcoal (Charcocaps) , will absorb the excess gas produced.
2. Antacids, such as Di-Gel, Maalox Anti-Gas, and Mylanta Gas, allow gas to be belched away more easily.
3. Food enzymes, such as Beano, which help break down the sugars found in vegetables and grains, can be added to foods that cause you to have gas.
Taking Haloperidol, Reglan, chlor, etc twice daily will also help in relieving your symptoms.
I hope this answers your query effectively.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Follow-up: PVC gets aggravated with indigestion, gas and belching 17 hours later
I thought Haloperidol was an anti psychotic? Your answer was relieving because ninety percent of my PVC"s happen when I have gas. I heard something about the vagus nerve getting affected by my stomach gas. Thanks for your help.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 6 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
Haloperidol is an antipsychotic but it increases the gut motility and empties stomach earlier avoiding belching. Yes symptoms.
Doing dietary modifications will help you.
Hope my answer is helpful.