PET scan showing pleural effusion, pleural thickening, skin lesion of breast seen, sclerotic change in thyroid cartilage. What does it mean?

Radiologist, Nuclear Medicine
I had a PET Scan (female of 31 years old) and the impression are:
1 Right pleural effusion. FDG-avid pleural thickening and perivertebral soft tissue thickening can be malignant and infective in nature. Sugest histological and microbiological correlation.
2 The prominent mediastinal and bilateral SCF nodes are non-FDG avid, likely to be reactive in naure.
3 Hypermetabolic focal skin lesion at 2H position of left breast seen. Suggest clinical +/- histological correlation. No definite axillary lymphadenopathy seen.
4 Hypermetabolic sclerotic change in right thyroid cartilage can also be metastatic or inflammatory change.

Can you pleaseeee help explain the above to me. I will be very grateful.
Posted Tue, 26 Jun 2012 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Manoranjan Chowhan 4 hours later

Thanks for writing in.

Given that you have bilaterally enlarged lymph nodes in supraclavicular fossa (SCF) which are non FDG avid paraspinal soft tissue and sclerotic plus lytic lesions with FDG avid pleural thickening and soft tissue thickening, the report suggests an infective process. Infection by any organism like TB is possible.

However, the possibility of a lymphoma also needs to be ruled out.

I would be in a better position to help you if you could answer the following questions:

Do you have any weight loss or night sweats?
Are you currently receiving any treatment?
Did you have past history of any illness (which led to hospitalization)?
Did you or any member of your family have Tuberculosis or HIV infection?
An answer to these questions would help me guide you better.

Perhaps the best next step is to undergo a biopsy of enlarged lymph nodes to arrive at a proper diagnosis(FNAC may not pinpoint the cause many a times).

Awaiting your reply.