PET scan showing focal stringy opacity of low uptake. Meaning?

Pulmonologist
Question
What does a focal stringy opacity(low uptake) radiologist upon PET dx as likely
benign atelectatic reaction with no other head to toe uptake imply? Thank you.
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans

Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 33 minutes later

After going through your query, I would like to comment the following:

1. PET scan is normally done to rule out any malignant focus in the body.

2. Based on your 1.5 cmm nodule most probably on ct scan, a PET scan was done to rule out chances of malignancy in the nodule or elsewhere in the body.

3. Focal stringy opacity of low uptake describes the radiological appearance of the lesion. Since it is a low uptake there is less likelihood of malignancy. The result finally describes the impression of the lesion as " benign atelectatic reaction with no other head to toe uptake." It means that the nodular lesion is benign (not malignant and its probable etiology is atelectasis (or collapse (of a lung segment most probably)). No other head to toe uptake virtually rules out chances of malignant changes anywhere else in your body.

4. Clinically a question of relevance here would be that did you ever suffer from a chest infection for long period in the past? (history of cough, breathlessness for may be more than a month?)

5. Since the lesion is near rt. middle lobe, I would advise you to consult your pulmonologist regarding the possibility of a transbronchial lung biopsy under c-arm (radiological) guidance or a CT guided FNAC from the nodule for confirming the diagnosis.

6. In short you should be relaxed after your PET scan report virtually ruled out the possibility of malignancy.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be glad to answer any follow up queries.
Please accept my answer if you have no follow up queries.

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra
MBBS MD DNB

Follow-up: PET scan showing focal stringy opacity of low uptake. Meaning? 5 hours later
Thank you Dr. XXXXXXX My PCP is going to have the interventional
radiologist review the PET findings and decide whether I
should have a CT-guided biopsy or simply wait some months
and get re-scanned.

Your answer was thorough and VERY helpful.

Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 1 hour later
Thanks for the follow up.
Yes , that will be a good strategy to decide the future course of action after your PCP reviews it. Remember however that if biopsy is not performed then the lesion should be followed up for a minimum of 2 years and if within this period no suspicious changes are noted, then may be left alone.

Wish you good health.

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra
MBBS MD DNB