PCOS, trying to conceive, on ovulation induction. Still FM scan says follicle size reduced. How long this treatment ?

I'm diagnosed with PCOS some 3yrs back. Now m trying for my pregnancy. I'm on ovulation induction since last 5 months. I had an HCG injection monitored on 26th march'12. Even after 48 hrs my FM scanning shows reduced follicle size as compared to the day on which HCG injection was given. The report says free fluid in POD, and doctor has suggested me to take susten capsules for 14 days. What does this mean? Have i ovulated? Et size remains same.
Please let me know how long this ovulation induction treatment would be continued? I'm really worried since there is no positive result since 5 months. I was on siphene from day 3-7 and lycored tablets for to be taken daily. My doctor prescribes different tablets every month. She started from CCQ + ovacare for 2 months, then CCQ+ zevit for next two months, and now siphene +ovacare and siphene+lycored for 4th and 5th month.
Next month doctor advised that laparoscopy to be done if there is no pregnancy this month.
i want to know what is done in this laparascopy. How serious is my ailment .
Is laparascopy really required as i wanted to be treated on medication . Also whether my PCOS will be cured after pregnancy?
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Infertility Problem
Answered by Dr. Chetna Jain 10 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
A reduction in the follicle size with free fluid means that ovulation has occurred.
Laparoscopy is a procedure in which the operating surgeon makes a small incision(cut) in the abdomen and puts in a tube with lenses. This helps visualize the XXXXXXX organs. Like the fallopian tubes.
If your age is below 30, then I will suggest that you continue this treatment for a few more cycles. Your endometrial thickness (ET) is fine and susten is the progesterone support which helps improve implantation rates. Licored is an antioxidant which is expected to improve rate of conception.
Tubes can be tested without laparoscopy by doing a procedure called hysterosalpingography. Please speak with your physician about this.
I would also like to know if your husband’s semen analysis is normal. It would be great if you can share the details.
Clomiphene can be taken for a maximum of 12 cycles. Hence it is important to know the status of the tubes and semen analysis before you proceed with further treatment.
Metformin is a useful drug in PCO patients trying to conceive. Please take folic acid regularly. A post coital test is a useful indicator of whether the sperms are normal and moving normally in the cervical mucus , though there are controversial opinions about it.
Awaiting your reply
Follow-up: PCOS, trying to conceive, on ovulation induction. Still FM scan says follicle size reduced. How long this treatment ? 12 hours later
Hello Doctor
Thanks for your reply.
Yes, my husband's sperm count test was done and its normal.
Is there a difference between 'free fluid in POD' and just 'fluid in POD'.
Answered by Dr. Chetna Jain 11 hours later
The presence of free fluid in the pouch of XXXXXXX (POD) is normal. The presence of loculated fluid can point to an infection in pelvis
I would suggest that a hysterosalpingography be done for you before continuing further treatment

I hope I have addressed your concern. I will be available for follow ups. If you have no more questions, please close this discussion.