PCOS, Letrozole did not help conceive; periods started. Side-effects of taking Letrozole for long?

Hi, Am trying to get pregnant. Am 27 years old,ht:5.3 ,wt:60kg. Have been diagnosed with PCOS and was given XXXXXXX for 3 cycles. Now my gynec asked me to take 2 Letrozole (2.5mg) tablets everyday starting fram day2-7 . I completed 4 cycle but did not get pregnant.I am timing intercourse between 7-20 days after first day of my period. I just got my period now and will be starting to take Letrozone tabs again. Am worried on whats going wrong. I am very desperate to become pregnant. And also worried if i can continue on Letrozole for this long
Will i have any side effects for using Letrozole tablets for such long time (started using them since XXXXXXX 2011). I sometimes have burning sensation while having intercourse in beginning days around 7-10, is it normal ? Is there anything in particualr that i need to do?
Posted Sat, 28 Apr 2012 in Infertility Problem
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 2 hours later
Hello and thanks for the query.

Try not to worry so much about the Letrozole. In the hands of a skilled physician this medication can be used well to help promote pregnancy. There may be some subtle side effects when using the medicine which may include some of the burning sensation you have experienced.

Try and focus on relaxation in helping to balance your mind and body and I am sure you will achieve success.

I cannot think of anything else you should do other than to support your body with good hydration and diet and to continue healthy intercourse in the process of heading toward your pregnancy.

Thanks again for submitting the query. I hope you found my response to be helpful. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Galamaga
Follow-up: PCOS, Letrozole did not help conceive; periods started. Side-effects of taking Letrozole for long? 12 hours later
Thanks for your reply. Are there any particualr items that i need to include in my diet? When to time the intercourse?
Is there anything that i could do to avoid letrozole side effects? Should i get any additional tests done to see if the egg released properly? I worry that i might be infertile...
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 13 hours later
Hello thank you for the follow up question.

Regarding your diet the best thing to do is to balance your intake of healthy fruits and vegetables as well as very lean sources of protein such as chicken or mean XXXXXXX If you are vegetarian I would certainly focus on good protein intake in the form of soy protein and other protein XXXXXXX vegetables and beans.

Regarding timing of intercourse this is something you want to do roughly 1 days before and a couple of days after you expect to have ovulation. It is somewhat difficult to time these things I realized but it is something you can try to set as a goal.

I am sure you will be successful in your endeavor to become pregnant. This does require quite a significant degree of patience and I encourage you to continue to work on that. It is very important that you try to also balance any worry or anxiety that you have about this with a very healthy exercise regimen and possibly some meditation techniques or yoga.

I would not recommend that you obtained any additional tests. I recommend that you continue to follow up with your doctor as scheduled. Regarding the side effects of the medication I don't think there is anything you need to do right now as far as mitigating any side effects. Continue to follow your doctor's instructions otherwise.

Thank you again for submitting your question. I hope my responses have given you some helpful information and reassurance. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Robert