PCOS, Laparoscopy to unblock tubes, brown mucus discharge. Normal?

Hi, I had a laporoscopy 6 weeks ago to unblock my falopian tubes and I also have PCOS, I bled for 8-10days after surgery which i was told could have been a period. for the past two weeks i have been getting brown mucus discharge and feelings of my period coming but nothing is this normal?
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 36 minutes later

Thanks for your query,

The description of your symptoms indicate that you might be having a period in the near future or it could be signs of a missed period.

Delayed or missed periods are common in patients with PCOS and hypothyroidism, due to the chances of the cycles being anovulatory, as a result of abnormal secretion of gonadotrophins by the brain.

This is a transient period , which will soon resolve with proper treatment of the underlying conditions.

PCOS can be treated with prescription of combination hormone pills, which will stabilize the hormone levels and result in normal periods within 2-3 months of treatment.

Hypothyrodism can be treated with thyroid hormone supplementation, depending on the thyroid function tests and the presence of symptoms.

You might consult your doctor for proper evaluation and treatment of PCOS (if not already started).

I hope this helps.

I shall be available to answer any follow up queries .
Follow-up: PCOS, Laparoscopy to unblock tubes, brown mucus discharge. Normal? 10 minutes later
Hi Dr, Thanks for your response.

Is it normal for the discharge to last this long? I am 30 years old and have been trying to conceive for over 3 years. During the Laporoscopy my doctor also drilled my ovaries to incourage ovulation. I have period pains but no fresh blood just the discharge for just over 2 weeks.

Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 35 minutes later
Hello again,

Yes, The brown discharge lasting for 2 weeks, could be due to the mixture of the menstrual blood (associated with missed period) and the cervico-vaginal mucus. This is not a unusual finding and there is no need to be concerned about.

Since the procedure was done 6 weeks back, it is usual for the effects to last a bit longer, as the hypothalamic hormone release has to attain its normal cyclic rhythm.

You might begin to have your normal periods and proper ovulatory cycles within the next few months. Once they begin you might be able to concieve normally.

I hope this helps to clear any doubts.