PCOD. Getting regular period without medicine. Trying to conceive. Safe to take postpone tablet?

Mar 2013
Hello Doctor,

I was having PCOD problem. Now i am getting periods regularly with out medication. we are trying for baby also. But now because of some unavoidable circumstances i am suppose to take the postporn tablet. Can you please sugest me what i am suppose to do?
Posted Fri, 1 Feb 2013 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 15 minutes later
Thanks for your question.

ovary-syndrome/0000" >PCOD is a problem of irregular periods, problems with ovulation, alongwith multiple small cysts seen in the ovary, and also associated disorders like increased androgen ( male hormone ) levels, insulin resistance leading to deranged blood glucose levels and raised cholesterol levels.

Apart from getting regular periods, if you plan to conceive, you should get yourself thoroughly investigated for PCOD. A reliable transvaginal ultrasound, Serum FSH and LH hormone levels on day 2 of periods, SHBG and DHEAS ( adrenal hormones ), OGTT ( oral glucose tolerance test ), fasting serum insulin levels, lipid profile, thyroid profile - these are some of the investigations. Of course, your partner's semen testing and checking whether your fallopian tubes are open or not is also crucial.

I have understood from the question that for one cycle, you wish to take tablets to postpone your periods. Am I right ? Well, if that is unavoidable, there is no harm in taking them for a single occasion, however, it should not be a pattern, since irregular periods in PCOD are caused by basically hormonal imbalance, and these pills also contain progesterone.

SO do not worry and take the pills as per prescription and after examination by a gynecologist, meanwhile continue taking treatment and investigations for PCOD also.

Expect an erratic period while you take the tablets to postpone your menses, but it should regularize afterwards, as long as your PCOD is being controlled.

Please bear in mind that the mainstay of treatment of PCOD is diet modification, moderate exercise and sensible weight loss alongwith a positive outlook on life, zero stress levels and a fit body.

Take care and feel free to ask for further clarifications.
Follow-up: PCOD. Getting regular period without medicine. Trying to conceive. Safe to take postpone tablet? 1 hour later
Can you suggest me a Good hospital and doctor for above said checkups? Also what will be cost of the treatment?
Which tablet I can take to postpone the period?
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 2 hours later
Hi again,
Based on your current location in India, I am sure you can find many good government, private or corporate hospitals for the above treatment.
Cost would depend on which sector you choose.
The tablets given to postpone periods are actually progesterone preparations, and they are prescription drugs, not over the counter ones.
So I cannot prescribe the brands and doses on this portal.
They would be prescribed to you alongwith explanation of the correct method of use, by your gynecologist.

Take care, XXXXXXX