PAP smear showed atypical squamous cells. Dark discharge mid-cycle. Family history of breast cancer.

OBGYN, Gynecologic Oncology
How worried should I be? I am 40 years old, and had an abnormal pap result 3 months ago. It showed atypical squamous cells of undetermined significance. I went in for that pap smear due to a dark discharge mid-cycle, which my gynecologist said was blood and nothing to worry about. I have never had bleeding between periods before. This month I am again having bleeding between periods. 13 days from the start of my last cycle, I had a dark and thick discharge of what I assume to be blood for two days accompanied by cramping. This is the third day and the bleeding is now more akin to a regular period except I am still having cramping. I am a smoker and have a family history of breast cancer but no cervical cancer.
Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Manjunath L Ramarajapalli 9 hours later

The abnormal Pap test (Papanicolaou test) with atypical cells of undetermined significance is usually followed by colposcopic examination, which rules out any disease over the cervix. If colposcopic examination is normal then the cause of intermenstrual bleeding/discharge has to be investigated by pelvic ultrasound examination.

Also please note that cervical cancer is not familial unlike breast cancer.

Hope I have answered your doubts. Please consult your gynecologist for further tests as advised.

Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

With regards