PAP smear showed HSIL, suggested LEEP. No biopsy. Should I wait and get another opinion?

I am 60 years old and have always had a normal pap smear. I had a pap smear three weeks ago. It came back hsiL and my obgyn wants to do a leep. He said because I am 60 yeas old. I agreed at first. However I now feel this is jumping the gun. I mean with only one pap smear and no biopsy or anything. Should I wait and get another opinion?
Posted Sat, 7 Jul 2012 in Cervical and Ovarian Cancer
Answered by Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan 1 hour later
Hello there,

Thanks for writing in.

You doctor suggested LEEP (loop electrosurgical excision procedure) because your Pap smear report that came back as HSIL (high grade cervical squamous intraepithelial lesion)

Normally a colposcopy / cone biopsy is done prior to LEEP. Either you can suggest this to your doctor or go ahead with a second opinion.

It is important for you to remember that having cervical dysplasia does not mean that you have cervical cancer. However, treatment of the abnormal area is imperative to prevent abnormal cervical cells from developing into cervical cancer.

Hope I have answered your question. I will be happy to answer any further queries.

Dr.Divya Kuttikrishnan