PAP smear showed HPV. Is this a benign strand? What should I do?

Question
I am an older female post menopausal with a newly dx pap smear that showed HPV. I have never had HPV before in my life. I am concerned about my new fiance contracting this both orally and genital. Is this a benign strand? the OB/gyn stated that they usually quick doing pap smears on menopausal females with total hysterectomies because they all usually show a positive HPV. Is this correct? what should I do?
Posted Mon, 29 Jul 2013 in Cervical and Ovarian Cancer

Answered by Dr. Deepti Goyal 52 minutes later
Hi XXXXX

Thanks for the query

Genital HPV infection is primarily transmitted through sexual route. Infectivity rate is about 65 %.Genital to skin transmission is also seen.

HPV infection itself is a benign disease.But it increases the chances of cervical intraepithelial neoplasia and hence, of cervical cancer. Specially, high risk types of HPV ( HPV16,18,31,45) are mainly responsible for this increased risk.

Usually, HPV infection do not persist. In most women, it will clear in 9-15 months.
A minority of women exposed to HPV develop persistent infection that may progress to cervical intrepithelial neoplasia.

If you are asymptomatic and HPV is diagnosed on routine pap test and rest of your pap test report is normal, then in my opinion, you should opt for colposcopy to find out any abnormal region in your cervix and proceed according to its report.

Hope this information is informative and helpful to you.

Good luck.

If you have any further query, you can directly reach out to me at the following URL:

WWW.WWWW.WW

Follow-up: PAP smear showed HPV. Is this a benign strand? What should I do? 42 minutes later
I have had my cervix removed. My concern is for my sexual partner. Is he at risk for
Mouth cancer d/t oral sex?

Answered by Dr. Deepti Goyal 1 hour later
Hi XXXXX

Thanks for clarifying your query.

HPV infection has been found to be an important risk factor in causation of oropharyngeal cancers.Persons having orogenital sex,anogenital sex, female partner with HPV positive pap and cervical dysplasias in past and having multiple sex partners are at more risk of it.Concomitant use of tobacco and alcohol also increase the risk.

Good luck.

WWW.WWWW.WW