PAP smear results unclear. Have been asked to repeat tests. Test shows dark cells present. Meaning?

My doctor's office called and said my pap results were unclear and I need to come back in 3 months. Also, dark cells present, what does this mean? I am terrified...
Posted Sat, 24 Aug 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale 2 hours later
You seem to be worried about Pap smear readings.
-because you have been told to repeat after 3 months.
PAP smear is for evaluating possibility/exclusion of cancer. It is done to detect dysplasia in the cervical cells.
Please understand the causes of repeat smears. They mainly are-
*The cells in the smear may be obscure-due to blood, mucus, inflammation. They need to be clear to give a definite diagnosis. (May be referred as dark cell)
*Cells may not be in enough number to give a clear result.
*The picture of the transient cells (the cells between Endometrium & Glands cells) are the ones which may develop in malignant cells. To give a definite diagnosis, these cells need to be clear seen. When it is not so, patient is told to repeat the test.
Therefore, I would suggest you to be positive, ask your consultant for need of medicines for inflammation of endometrium, maintain genital hygiene, and have a nutritious diet.
I hope I have sufficient explanation to remove your tension.
I will be happy to answer any further queries.
Thank you.