Overweight,liposuction,PCOD.Effect on conception?

Hi, I am from kolkata and have been trying to lose weight for a lomg time now. I am 5'4" tall and weigh 93 kgs. Would liposuction be a good option for me? And what would be the approximate cost? Also, what other options would I have for weight loss? And will these hamper my chances of conception in the future? I have been suffering from PCOD since the age of 16 and am currently 28 yrs old.
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in Weight
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 15 minutes later
Hello and thanks for the query.

Your question is a good one and i will try and provide good information and advice. I generally do not recommend liposuction unless the amount of tissue you have on your body is creating problems with skin infections. A good weight loss program which incorporates diet, exercise and good personal motivation is absolutely superior.

While relatively routine, liposuction does carry risks associated with the procedure inclneruding pain and post-operative infections. As far as cost, it would be at least 200,000 INR for the procedure and likely even more.

Another option might include bariatric surgery which is a procedure by which a surgeon will decrease the capacity of the stomach to fill which gives the patient a sense of being full much sooner. The cost of this operation would run closer to 150,000 INR.

Weight loss will help your chances of conception and the bariatric surgery would not hamper your ability to become pregnant or carry a baby to term.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you found my answer to be both helpful and informative. Should you have additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Galamaga