Overweight, weight watchers diet, bells palsy on face, crocodile tear syndrome

Iam a female 75 years old . i weigh 188lbs . Iam on theweight watchers diet and lost 25 lbs since November/ My question is I got bell palsy on my right side of the face Aug 22. My face does not look too bad they tell me but My right side of the face is up and my lip is still crooked. Whenever I eat my right eye tears real bad. I have been to the Eye Dr. several imes because I have a bad dry eye. Iam putting drops in them but they are not getting that much better. Someone told me today that there nrighbor had bell palsy and his Dr. had him use a vibrator on the face to help the nerve bring the nerve back. Is there such a thing and is there anything I can do for this. Ps. All my Doctors say no Please let me know. I hate looking this way. Mar My email is YYYY@YYYY
Posted Wed, 18 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Prasad 4 hours later

Your symptoms including 'Crocodile Tear Syndrome' - watering of the eye while eating are typical of Bell's palsy. Prognosis of the condition depend on the initial presentation of the condition - whether it was a total or incomplete palsy. Usually most of the symptoms recover by 3-4 weeks. However a few of them about 10%, I would say may be left with deficits.

Now to answer your question,

Recovery from bell's palsy is very gradual and slow. The chance of recovery is aided by physiotherapy techniques such as facial massages, facial exercises, Transcutaneous electric nerve stimulations and others.

Vibrators which your neighbour used probably acted as facial massages, thus improving the condition. Though this is not the right technique scientifically, it may be used. I would instead suggest you talking to a 'Physiatrist' who can recommend you better and appropriate techniques.

You will have to learn that this is going to be a very gradual. Small percentage individuals may still be left with deficits despite all methods.

I wish you the best.

Hope I have answered your query.

If you have any more queries, I will be available to answer them as well.