Overweight, thyroid tests done. Advise?

my daughter aged 21 heaving weight 82 kg T3 0.97 T4 6.80 TSH 17.27 PL SUGGEST LINE OF T/T
Posted Wed, 4 Jul 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Anantharaman 3 hours later
Dear Dr Saxena,

Thanks for your interest in health care magic.

Firstly I would like to know your daughter's height which will give us an idea regarding the Body Mass Index.

As far as the thyroid function is concerned she seems to have mild hypothyroidism. She definitely requires thyroid hormone supplementation. If I were to be her treating doctor, I would start her on 50 microgram of thyroxine supplements a day. Other endocrinologist may choose to put her on larger doses, so do visit an endocrinologist to start medications.

Usually the Thyroid Stimulation Hormone (TSH) is monitored 2months later to assess the response to replacement. The doses would be reduced / increased / maintained based on the TSH results 2 months later.

Thyroid replacement alone usually will not produce a significant weight loss, if over weight is an issue with your daughter. She has to stick to a diet plan and daily exercise to lose weight.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you need any more information.

Dr. Anantharaman