Overweight, squeezing feeling in neck. BP and heart stress test normal. What else it could be?

Excellent

Question
Hi I am a 52 year old woman, slightly overweight...have had a heart stress test that came back fine. Lately I get a squeezing feeling in my neck and I feel like I can't breathe although I still can. It feels like by head is going to pop off, not painful just squeezing. My blood pressure is fine as well? What the heck could it be? it happens while sitting watching tv or moving , doesn't seem to matter? Thank you !
Posted Thu, 30 May 2013 in Heart Attack

Answered by Dr. S. Jegadeesan 3 hours later
Madam,
The symptoms you are explaining - squeezing feeling in your neck and you feel like you can't breathe, although you still can. It feels like your head is going to pop off, not painful just squeezing - your BP is all right and your Heart stress test is normal.
The squeezing symptom goes in favor of a condition called "Muscle contraction headache"
Symptoms that accompany a muscle contraction headache may include tightness or soreness of the muscles in the neck, jaw, and/or shoulders. The length of a muscle contraction headache can vary greatly between individuals. Muscle contraction headaches may also be due to the side effect of medications or to the hormonal changes of premenstrual syndrome.
The probable cause of "Muscle contraction headacheā€:
Degenerative arthritis of the neck.
Temporomandibular joint dysfunction.
The triggering factor you must watch by maintaining a record of everything, which happened before you get the symptoms.
So many other conditions may produce symptoms similar to "Muscle contraction headache"
I have suggested this diagnosis - as your BP is Normal and heart status is normal even under stress test.
Your breathing difficulty has to be evaluated clinically. Continue the thyroid treatment
After explaining to the Neurologist/Orthopedic surgeon all the details prior to the development of symptoms (by maintaining a diary) Relevant investigations (Blood Test, CT, MRI) we can arrive at a diagnosis. Treatment as per the cause. Always keep away from "tension and stress".
Best wishes

Follow-up: Overweight, squeezing feeling in neck. BP and heart stress test normal. What else it could be? 20 hours later
Good Evening Dr. Subbiah,

Thank you very much for your response above. It certainly seems to make sense considering my presenting symptoms. Could menopause or stress contribute to this?
or even cause this? Thank you again for your reply Dr. Subbiah, Kind Regards, XXXXXX

Answered by Dr. S. Jegadeesan 2 hours later
Hello Madam,

Thanks for your follow up inquiries,

Muscle contraction headache: A type of headache caused by tension or sustained muscle contraction.
Degenerative arthritis of the neck, temporomandibular joint dysfunction or physical postures may trigger one of these headaches.
There are so many triggers
Triggers vary greatly between different people and what may trigger a muscle contraction headache in one person may not be a trigger in another person. Common triggers include hunger, alcohol, smoking, overeating, anxiety,stress, noise, not getting enough sleep and fatigue. Other triggers can include teeth grinding (bruxism), jaw clenching, neck injury, such as cervical strain, coughing, sneezing, and poor posture. Certain foods may trigger a muscle contraction headache in some people. Muscle contraction headaches may also be due to the side effect of medications or to hormonal changes of premenstrual syndrome, perimenopause.
I think you can understand that a cause may be cause as well as a trigger.
Thanks for your enquiry.
Best wishes

Follow-up: Overweight, squeezing feeling in neck. BP and heart stress test normal. What else it could be? 6 hours later
Thank you Dr. Subbiah, I appreciate your time and responses, your information has been quite helpful.
XXXXXX

Answered by Dr. S. Jegadeesan 50 minutes later
Hello Madam XXXXXXX

I am extremely thankful to you for your feedback, as well happy to understand that my answers were useful to you. I reciprocate your blessings for a wonderful weekend.

Dr.S.Jegadeesan