Overweight, shortness of breath after eating, numbness. Why do I feel the numbness and what should I do about this?

Infertility Specialist

I'm a 27-year old woman. I am overweight and somewhere near my peak weight at the moment - circa 215 or 220 lbs. (However, I actually don't appear overweight and people regularly think I'm at least 50 lbs lighter than I am, if that is relevant at all.)

Last night, I surprised myself and ate an entire, large Papa John's pizza in one sitting. I can normally eat most of a large pie in one sitting (unfortunately) but last night, I actually ate the ENTIRE pie. I also 1-2 glasses of sweet California red wine. I originally planned to separate the meal into 3 separate meals over the course of the weekend, but somehow had the entire thing in one sitting.

After eating, I began to feel a noticeable shortness of breath which has continued into this morning. And when I woke up early this morning, around 5am, I began to feel that my body was numb in a way that it is not normally. There is not "total" numbess, though if I touch my breasts or the side of my body, I notice I don't feel the touch the way I normally would. THere's just some degree of numbness, perhaps a level 6 on a scale of 1-10, 10 being totally numb with no feeling at all. I can "tell" there is some sensation there, but if feels as if my skin is not picking up very well on the slightest sensations.

My plan for the day is to work out this morning. I plan to attend a boot camp class or a spin class at my local gym at 9:15AM and barely eat anything for the entire day beisdes tea, fruit and perhaps some very light veggies. I have had two large cups of water this morning and am now sipping tea (no sugar, milk, etc, anything). I'm staying away from carbs completely today and also for the most part tomorrow.

Why do I feel the numbness, and what should I do about this?

Thank you.
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 5 hours later

Thank you for posting your query.

The following are possible causes and advice for your numbness:

1) Numbness could be just because of sleeping in odd posture and weight falling on particular part of your body and compression nerves in that area leading to temporary loss of sensation which may recover later.

2) There could be some component of pizza to which your body is allergic. it is difficult to say which food stuff you are allergic. If numbness is due to allergy, it will come down in 24 hours.

3) Please get your blood pressure checked immediately as you give family history of hypertension. If you have undiagnosed covert hypertension that might have lead to transient ischemic attack (TIA) in the brain or there could be mild hemorrhage in brain if you have hypertension.

I think your blood pressure examination will give the answer for hypertension related question. Please get back to me after getting your blood pressure checked.

Dr.Mahesh Koregol