Overweight, have high blood pressure. Family history of blood clot and heart problem. Prognosis?

Jan 2013

blood pressurei went to the doctor today because i am overweight and he told me to join a gym. i went for the first time and did a ten minute cardio route with a wellness coach. wothin two days my leg swelled up so much i could only wear pajama pants. he wasnt concerned. my blood pressure was 149/87 today and he also wasnt concerned. my dad has blood clots and heart problems run in his family. do i need a second opinion? i dont know what to do.
thank you
Posted Thu, 2 May 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 3 hours later
Welcome to XXXXXXX forum.

Do you have chest pain/ difficulty in breathing/ cough with sputum production?
Do you have pain while walking?
Is that swelling in legs pitting in nature?

With the available described details, there appears to be least possibility of heart disease.
If heart is not able to pump properly and may cause swelling in legs; then there is also high chances of chest congestion with difficulty in breathing.
There appears to high chances of muscle injury due to brisk exercise as all symptoms appeared after start of exercise.

As you have positive family history of heart disease, this incidence should not be taken causally.

You should consult with XXXXXXX medicine specialist/ cardiologist and should go for thorough check up.
You should also go for complete blood count, serum CPK-MB, color Doppler studies of both lower limbs, serum lipid profile, 2 D Echo and stress test for evaluation of status of coronary arteries (once edema decrease in legs).

You should take proper bed rest along with normal healthy diet.
You can take short course of diuretics for partial relief of your symptoms.

Hope that helps.
Let me know your other query.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava