Overweight, diabetic. Have elevated liver enzymes, diarrhea, red, itchy arms and hands. Concerned

General Surgeon
I am a 45 yr old male who is overweight and am a diabetic. I also have raised liver enzymes about 6/7 times higher than normal. I drink about 25-20 units a week sometimes more, and sometimes less. Twice in 3 months I have been in hospital. I have awoken both times in the night feeling extremely strange and unwell. This is followed by extreme diarrhea. My hands, arms, and once my head and eyes, become itchy and very red. This time, I passed out twice and it was accompanied by vomiting. The first time it was guessed that it was an allergic reaction. This time Gastroenteritis. However, the symptoms seem to abate after 6-8 hours. I am very concerned that there is an underlying problem. Can u help?
Posted Thu, 25 Apr 2013 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 1 hour later
As per your query,you are Diabetic,overweight and alchoholic.
Liver enzymes will be elevated due to Alchohol liver disease.
Your hands,arms were itchy and red due to any allergic reaction to food or any other allergen.
Now,you had vomiting and loose motions.This is definitely Gastroenteritis due to intake of contaminated food or water.
Please take Antibiotic Ofloxacin and ornidazole,Antispasmodic Dicyclomine and Rabeprazole.
Please keep your blood sugar under control.
You have to get investigated with Ultrasound abdomen,complete blood picture,Liver function tests,Serum amylase and lipase.
I do not think of any major problem as these complaints are not continuous and they are non specific.
If you come back with above reports,i will clarify further.
But,i request you to stop Alchohol .
Practise Yoga and meditation.
You will have no problem.
Wish you good health