Overweight, bicycling daily, strict diet, done treadmill test, lipid profile, family history of hypertension, heart blockages. Chances of heart problems ?

Cardiologist
Question
Hello Sir,
I am a Professor in Computer Engineering aged 47, weight 86 kgs and height 180 cms. I do bicycling on a geared, heavy metal-body bike (HERO-HAWK) daily for 16-20 kms (64-76 minutes). Is this sufficient to keep my heart healthy ? I do not consume tea, coffee, cold-drinks, liquors, ice-creams. We use Cow milk and ghee in the daily diet and consume oil-ghee in moderation. My father has had hypertension and elder brother (at 59) has been diagonised with heart blockages despite having no addiction as me and lighter weighted than me.
Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Gopi A 28 hours later
I have gone through the mail and noted the details. Blockages in the heart develop because of multiple factors. Some are modifiable and some nonmodifiable. Thus no adult is absolutely free of the risk of developing a heart attack or blockages.
In your case I notice you are overweight so you need to lose about 5 to 6 kgs. You need to restrict consumption of ghee to occasions as it contains a lot of saturated fats which is not good for the heart. Your oil consumption should be less than 500 ml per month. Also get a baseline lipid profile and treadmill test done for future reference . With all these precautions there is a good chance that we can prevent or atleast retard the development of the disease.
Hope I have been able to clear some of your doubts.

Follow-up: Overweight, bicycling daily, strict diet, done treadmill test, lipid profile, family history of hypertension, heart blockages. Chances of heart problems ? 41 hours later
Thanks Sir for the reply. Can you please give some comments on the Lipid Profile attached herewith.

Answered by Dr. Gopi A 1 hour later
Thanks for the follow up.

I have seen the lipid profile.

The numbers are acceptable.

In spite of this i would like you to cut down on ghee and oil and reduce your body weight.

Dr. A. Gopi.