Overweight and when try to reduce have shortness of breath. Any recommendation?

Hello Dr,

I Just turned forty fourth month ago, and I am very concern with my weight Dr ,weight 288 pounds and my height is 5,9 , and I am trying to exercise and when i do but I feel that can't breath normal and or I feel that I get shorten of breath.any recomendation.
Thank you
Posted Mon, 5 Aug 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 18 hours later
Dear patient,

Thanks for your health concerns. I congratulate you on your weight loss quest. The first thing you need to do is make sure that your primary doctor gives you a "clean XXXXXXX of health" for starting a gradual exercise program, meaning that he or she does not see any contrainidcations from a cardiac standpoint for you exercising; the most common cause of shortness of breath with activity is deconditioning, meaning plainly being out of shape. But for your own peace of mind more serious issues need to be ruled out first, with a physical examination, an EKG and more conversation with your primary doctor.

There are no magic rules for weight loss.. Being persistent with regular, gradual exercise, making a change in your eating lifestyle and avoiding behaviors that make you eat more....

Yours truly,

Dr Brenes-Salazar MD
Mayo Clinic MN