Overweight. Trying to lose weight. Why do knees hurt after work out has stopped? Is motrin okay?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I'm 51 overweight was trying to loose weight and was going to the gym for over a month. I started doing work around my yard some lifting of plants etc . Stopped going to gym. My left knee started hurting then my right and now my calves are stiff. Both knee and calves hurt and have a heavy feeling. I also hear popping cracking and swishing noises from my knees when I climb the stairs this has been going on for 2 weeks. Motrin helps somewhat and so does elevating them.
Posted Thu, 14 Jun 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Sathyadharan Panneer 1 hour later

Thanks for writing in.

At the age of 51 with overweight your symptoms are more towards arthritis of knee. Popping, cracking, swishing noises indicate that you might have developed patello-femoral arthritis too.

Overweight & Arthritis form a positive feedback cycle. Unless we break the cycle by decreasing one of them, the other one is going to aggravate. Since arthritic damage cannot be undone, it is the overweight we have to concentrate on.

Weight lose programme like high fiber contents, avoiding snacks, more of liquid diets, avoiding foods with high glycemic index - water melon, ice creams, yogurt etc, Swimming is the best exercise to lose weight.

Avoiding climbing stairs, squatting, sitting cross legged can slow down the progression of arthritis.

Using knee caps, IFT / Wax bath / hot water fomentation to the knee might decrease the spasm of calf muscles and knee pain thereby giving you further freedom of movement. Over-counter pain killers can be taken initially for acute pain but never advised to use them regularly.

An X-ray of your both knees in standing view can show us the severity of arthritis and further management.

Get well soon.
Follow-up: Overweight. Trying to lose weight. Why do knees hurt after work out has stopped? Is motrin okay? 4 hours later
Thank you for your help. I am still working on the weight loss and will continue to do so. I will follow up with my primary and get x rays on my knees.
Answered by Dr. Sathyadharan Panneer 7 hours later

Pleased to know that you found my reply useful.

Initially you might find some difficulty, but once you lose weight you will feel the difference.

I will be glad to help you further if need any medical help in this regards now or in future.

Get well soon!