Overweight. Suffer frequent urination, shortness of breath and having pain above collarbone and neck. What can be done?

Hi, I am a 24 year old female, borderline obese for the past year. I plan to quit drinking very soon, but am waiting to see a doctor next week before I go cold XXXXXXX because I am afraid of the withdrawal symptoms. I am concerned about the state of my general health. I drank chronically, almost daily (18 months) and built up a very high tolerance. I also smoke, which I have not quit yet. My legs and arms for the past month or two fall asleep constantly, when i wake up, use the bathroom and at times when I feel that I am not putting any will fall asleep anyway. Both my parents have diabetes. Other than that I have been experiencing shortness of breath this past week about three times - although it has happened to me 7-8 x's in the past year. I feel that I am breathing normally, it just doesn't feel satisfying, like there is not enough oxygen. It doesn't hit me when I am being active, more like when I am sitting down I feel like I can't breath. My last concern regards some pain that I have been experiencing for months although it has become a daily thing now for about week. It's intermittent throughout the day. I feel that my left side hurts randomly, mostly my arm. But the pain can be felt above my collarbone and the neck near the back (base) of my skull. The area above my left collar bone has been swollen for about 6 months and it is soft but recently it has become tender.
Sorry this is so long but these are the major things I experience and would like to get an idea of what damage I have caused, if any. Just wanted a second (pre-opinion) before I see the doctor to get an idea if what I feel is part of withdrawal or independent of it, because although I have not quit I realize that withdrawal can start pretty quickly.
Posted Sat, 13 Jul 2013 in Weight & Lifestyle
Answered by Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty 1 hour later

Thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

There could be several causes for the breathlessness you are experiencing. It could be because of a lung problem like bronchitis.

Do you have any cough?

It could be because of problem with your heart. You are also complaining of pain in your left side. So further investigations like ECG are required after physical examination. Chronic alcoholism may cause anemia (that is low hemoglobin) which could be responsible for breathlessness. So investigations like Hb% (Hemoglobin) are required after physical examination. Another cause for that breathlessness could be psychological. After we rule out all the other causes we can arrive this to be the etiology.

You require a physical examination by your doctor along with certain investigations like those, I already mentioned. Further action depends on the investigation reports.

Continue to ask further queries as required.
Hope this helps.

Dr Y V Siva Sankara Murty
Associate Professor of Pediatric