Overweight. Prescribed with oral contraceptive pills. Concerned about the weight gain due to medication

my gyne has advised me to take XXXXXXX contraceptive pill. i am over wieght and worried about more wieght gain due to side effect of the pill. my gyne says that this pill would reduce the wieght but not increase. is it true...
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Birth Control
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 19 minutes later
Thanks for posting your query. XXXXXXX contraceptive pill contains drosperinone and ethinyl estradiol. It can potentially prevent premenstrual weight gain. It may cause an increase or decrease in weight in some women but the effect can vary from person to person.
You can safely take XXXXXXX as advised to you by your gynaecologist without worrying about the weight gain.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.