Overweight. Numbness near fibular head. Blood test showed borderline diabetic. What should be done?

My husband says his outer left XXXXXXX has been numb for several weeks. He is 60. Strong as an ox. He can't recall hitting it. It doesn't really hurt he says but if you pinch it hard he says it has not feeling. Sometimes when he has been tested for blood work in physicals he shows being borderline diabetic but he doesn't pay much attention to it. He is 25 ponds overweight.
Posted Sun, 27 Jan 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Ganesh Sanap 47 minutes later

Numbness on the outer area of XXXXXXX can be related to nerve compression at the region of fibular head (lateral bone of lower limb). Recent injuries at this area are usually the associated cause. Besides that, intervertebral disc propose at lower spinal levels can cause nerve compression resulting in numbness.

Being overweight increases the chances of both the possibilities. Therefore it needs to be ruled out.

We will need battery of tests and MRI scans of spine and knees to help us identify the cause. Therefore I would recommend him to consult a competent orthopedic for careful examination and investigations. In the interim using vitamin b12 supplements can benefit him.

Hope I have answered your query. Any follow up are welcome.