Overweight. Need a weight reduction diet. No exercise due to knee surgery

Hi i am XXXXXXX,31 years and 5.4'..i m around 78-80 kgs and looks bulky specially from chin,neck and abdomen...pls suggest some diet as i cant do exercise bcoz of knee surgery done 10-12 years back.
Posted Fri, 27 Apr 2012 in Diet Plans
Answered by Dr. Jagdish 5 hours later

First Problem: Over weight : Have you checked with an Orthopedician why were you not allowed to work out even after 10 yrs of surgery.? I think the past surgery should not be contraindication for simple aerobics like Walking, cycling. Believe me these are the time tested and easy to do exercises which help a person to lose weight.

1. You need to decrease calories. Eat small portions. Do not skips breakfast, lunch, dinner. Eat more fiber diet. Decrease rice. Eat whole wheat chapathis or rotis.

Please send me the current diet, what you are eating -for break fast, lunch, dinner, and for snacks. I will edit your diets and advice changes. Diet plan is individualised.

2. You need to exercise minimum 30 min daily for 5 days in a week.

Second problem: Migraine Headaches: Stress, chocolates, menses, coffee, lack of sleep aggravates migraine. So identify the aggravating factor and prevent the headaches. Ex: If stress from work is the reason, do breathing exercises, do yoga, listen to soft music, take hot water shower. Irritability could be from stress. If you have unusual anxiety and sadness/depression get evaluated by Psychiatrist.

Third Problem: Dark circles around the eyes:
1. Allergies could be the cause of dark circles. Identify allergic substances. You can also use Cetirizine tablet for allergies.
2 Gluten Intolerance could cause it. So avoid foods containing gluten.
3. Lack of sleep will reflect in face skin colour. If you are suffering from Insomnia , consult physician.
4. Poor nutrition, excess alcohol consumption, too many caffeinated drinks, cigarette smoking, and lack of exercise can all contribute to under-eye discoloration. Consider seeing a nutritionist or dietician if you're concerned about dietary issues.

There are many home Remedies :
1. Slice cucumber into thick slices. Cucumber slices have long been used to reduce puffiness and refresh the appearance of skin around the eyes, providing a fast "pick-me-up" for tired and puffy eyes. Place a slice over each eye, extending over the darkened area. Do this daily, coupled with lying down for 10-15 minutes. Keep your eyes closed.

Disclaimer: The information on this email and portal is provided for general informational purposes only and SHOULD NOT be relied upon as a substitute for sound professional medical advice, evaluation or care from your physician or other qualified healthcare provider as a complete assessment of an individual has not taken place. Nothing on this email and website should be used for treating or diagnosing a medical or health condition. This is not a replacement for Doctor - patient relationship and physical examination by other qualified healthcare provider.
Follow-up: Overweight. Need a weight reduction diet. No exercise due to knee surgery 4 hours later
Thanks Doctor,I take Poha,Daliya or bread slices in breakfast,in lunch i take chaptis with dal/vegetable and curd or sometimes 1 chapati and rice with Dal or rajma with curd
in dinner i take 2 chapatis again with dal/vegetable and before sleep take 1 glass milk.I avoid snacks or fried things but still take once in a week.
I take fruits alos but not regular,sometimes in 2-3 days
Drink 5-6 glasses of water in a day and 3 times tea in a day.
Answered by Dr. Jagdish 19 hours later

Your diet is balanced. I do not see too many calories in your diet. So I encourage you to continue the same diet. Plus do regular exercise, at least 30 to 40 min a day, 5 days a week.

Diet works for 70% and exercise for rest 30% to reach your weight loss goal.

Wish you Good Health.

DISCLAIMER : This advice is based upon history as provided by the patient as there is no Physician – Patient relationship established. The patient has not been examined per se. The advice is not valid for medico-legal purposes. Please see a local doctor before acting upon the advice.