Overweight. Having abdominal pain and heart burn. Blood test showed elevated ALT level. Concerned

Question
Hi o am female overweight. Recent blood test shows alt double what it should be
Have some pain in upper right hand quadrant. Have heart burn . frequently have sulpher burps.had gallbladder removed two yrs ago
To have liver ultrasound.
Posted Mon, 27 May 2013 in Abdominal Pain

Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 1 hour later
Your symptoms suggest the presence of fatty liver however there can be other causes for such a discomfort like inflammation of stomach lining,duodenal ulcer,hepatitis,pancreatic disease sometimes a cancer also.
Ideally you should be tested for atleast ultrasound liver along with markers for various types of hepatitis.
However the other important causes for high SGPT ( ALT ) are  
Consumption of alcohol.  
Excessive use of pain killers,antibiotics and anti cholesterol medicines and some health fad drugs like minerals and multivitamins. 
Obesity 
Diabetes and high triglycerides. 
Use of excessive sweets and colas. 

You must rule out diabetes and get your lipid profile checked up. 
Avoid using pain killers and health drugs. 
Avoid junk foods and colas. 
Take fresh fruits and more green vegetables. 
Reduce your weight and be in required range of your BMI. 
Do regular aerobic exercises for 45 minutes a day. 
Quit alcohol,if any. 

Consult your doctor for proper investigations.
I hope it helps however you may revert to me or any further query.
Best of luck
Thanks

Follow-up: Overweight. Having abdominal pain and heart burn. Blood test showed elevated ALT level. Concerned 7 hours later
Have clay cloured diarrhea. Have had all liver sreen blood s done
Don't drink alcohol pr take painkillers
But my diet ia poor
Hogh im fat.

Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 18 minutes later
Clay coloured diarrhea is generally because of some blockage of bile ducts or by the use of medications like anti biotics or antacids like kaopectate or pepto bismol.
The obvious cause for our high ALT are
Use of pain killers
Being overweight
Consumption of junk foods 

Take the precautions as advised above and get an ultrasound liver to look for any possible liver pathology.
Thanks

Follow-up: Overweight. Having abdominal pain and heart burn. Blood test showed elevated ALT level. Concerned 9 minutes later
Although I have hady gallbladder removed could it be a stone in a bole duct

Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 14 minutes later
Although rare but a stone can form in the common bile duct,years after removal of gall bladder.
Another possibility is that ,if a stone is left behind in the common bile duct at the time of surgery.But again this possibility is rare as surgeons always make sure that no stone is left in bile duct during surgery.
Thanks