Overweight. Have torn meniscus, swelling in ankle and pain in groin area. Taking narco. Any thoughts?

Feb 2013

My legs hurt, I have pain in the crease of the groin,I have a torn miniscus limiting my activity, my legs and ankles have some swelling. At night I get very cold, my feet and legs feel cold to touch. I have difficulty walking, I get very tired fast. I am taking narco for pain. I am limited in activity by the pain. I am on vacation for 3 more weeks for the winter. I am 61 yr old female, overweight, with high Bo & cholesterol,
Posted Wed, 20 Mar 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 2 hours later

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic,

The pains in the legs may be age related like osteoporosis.

As you are over weight, try to reduce your weight by dietary measures and some physical exercises. But avoid exercises involving legs like brisk walking as they will aggravate torn meniscus injury.

The swelling of legs and ankles is looking like dependant edema.

Elevate your legs by keeping a pillow below legs while in sleeping and lying position.

The causes for legs and ankle swellings to be evaluated by investigating for cardiac function, renal function, and thyroid function.

Avoid pain killers like nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drugs (NSAIDS) like ibuprofen.

Use narcotics for pain relief as prescribed by your doctor.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.