Overweight. Had muscle pull during warm up. Having lot of pain and bruising. Help?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
Hello, I recently (last Thursday) was playing golf and during a warm up swing, I pulled a muscle in right arm (dominant hand). I am starting to be able to use it by carrying light objects that weigh next to nothing, but there is still a lot of pain in the arm. There is a bruise that runs from just below my hand to just past my elbow.

I am resting it by not using it much and seems to be helping.
Posted Mon, 24 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 1 hour later
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX

Thank you for your query.

It looks like this is subcutaneous haematoma with possible partial muscle rupture( torn, tear) of brachioradialis and biceps muscle.

First you should check are you able to bend your arm actively and touch your shoulders with wrist. If you can and there is no changes in shape of your forearm and upper arm despite this swelling, then it doesn't seems to be serious injury.

If you have significant muscle weakness and twitches ,tingling or loss of sensation, loss of pulsation in radial artery or increasing pain, you should visit doctor and do ultrasound.

If not, then you can treat this at home by hand elevation, cold compresses, strictly resting and non-steroid painkillers.

You must gradually regain strength,first just do stretching and when pain subsides you can start with weight lifting and physical therapy.

Recovery usually lasts for 2 weeks if this is just pulled muscle. 4-6 weeks if this is partial rupture. And up to 3 months if this is complete rupture.

Wish you good health. If you have any questions I ll be glad to help.

Follow-up: Overweight. Had muscle pull during warm up. Having lot of pain and bruising. Help? 3 hours later
Thank you for the information.
I can, with my elbow on a table and palm up, there is no pain moving the forearm up. However, if I lift the elbow off the table and do the same movement I can bend it up with no issue, only when I try to straighten it out flat.
Then I can feel the muscle get tight and the pain returns.

I am slowly trying to stretch the muscle(s) by holding the arm out straight (palm down) and raise the hand (like I am telling someone to stop). There was some tightness and pain there, but, starting to lessen.

I do see some strength returning as a couple of days later, I was able to grip the doorknob and actually turn it. I could not do that Thursday, Friday or Saturday.

Seems like a good muscle pull? I never had one and I didn't know it could cause such a large bruise.
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 30 minutes later

Thanks for writing back.

Yes, It always looks worse than it is because even minor amount of blood cause very visible subcutaneous haematoma.

It is important that there is no muscle paralysis or sensation loss. Pain is expected to be felt and it will subside in several days.

You can apply some heparin gel for faster haematoma resorption,but this is just cosmetic problem.
You can do movements in elbow,but without weight.

Also hold your hand in 90 degrees in elbow with palm up as this is most relaxing position for forearm muscles.

If you notice any new symptom or some of these I ve mentioned or there is no expected recovery you should visit doctor.