Overweight. Getting light brownish sputum in morning and have snoring problem. Looking for cure

My mother gets some light brownish sputum everyday morning when she wakes up. It happens only first time. She snores much in sleep and her weight is 90 KGs. She is 48 years old now. She take a BP tablet everyday.

I would liek to know whther is there any worry with the above symptom? Do I need to consult a doctor? If yes in which specialization? Please help me.

Request to suggest some good doctors in Bangalore area.

Posted Sat, 23 Feb 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Shashi Dangwal 3 hours later

There could be many causes of brownish sputum. It could be only accumulated secretions of the mouth and throat which have changed colours because of remaining stagnant overnight. It may be especialy so if she is not in the habit of brushing her teeth at night or if she is in the habit of chewing beetle nut or some kind of pan masala.

If that is ruled out, then we come to conditions like sore throat, sinusitis or some bleeding from gums and teeth and nose, tongue etc.

Then there are more serious conditions like lung infections and bleeding from food pipe and stomach but this seems to be highly unlikely as i presume that she does not have any other symptoms since you have not mentioned any. In the absence of any other symptoms, lets presume that it is only accumulated secretions in the mouth and with proper oral hygiene that can be tackled.

If it still persists, you can consult your physician who can first decide the nature of brownish phlegm and look at her nose, throat and teeth and if required can order relevant tests to rule out any major illness.

You have mentioned about her weight and snoring. She could be suffering from sleep apnoea for which you need to consult a pulmonologist.

I may not be able to help you out with pulmonologist in Banglore. You may log on to net or consult a local directory of doctors in Banglore.