Overweight. Getting irregular period. What is causing this and cure?

Mar 2016

Hello My wife is having height 5ft and Weight 70kg. we got married in Dec 2012. She is having problem with her menstrual cycle(once in 3 months). This disorder is there from last 2 years. I am not sure whether this is due to overweight?
Posted Thu, 21 Feb 2013 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. S Patra 2 hours later

Thanks for writing to us. I am happy to help you.

According to your wife's height (5 ft), standard weight is 51-55 kg. Her Body Mass Index is 30.13 and it indicates grade 1 obesity.

Your wife is probably suffering from irregular delayed period (once in 3 months) which is called Oligomenorrhea. Obesity or over weight is the most common aggravating factor for this condition, leads to hormonal imbalance.

In addition, some associated conditions are as follows:

1) Ovarian cyst/ Poly Cystic Ovarian Disease (PCOD)- commonest in this context. 2) Thyroid disorder- hypothyroid state is another common factor.
3) Other-stress/ anxiety, irregular eating habit, psychological upset etc.

The possibilities can be narrowed by means of several tests such as Ultrasound (USG) lower abdomen, LH / FSH level, blood estrogen & progesterone levels, Blood sugar, blood prolactin level & testosterone level, thyroid profile etc.

In this scenario, you need to consult with a gynecologist who can help you in guide through the tests after complete physical examination.

In the mean time, the following measures can be helpful:

1) Control body weight by regular physical exercise by jogging/ running/ treadmill or she may join into XXXXXXX for daily work out.
2) Take healthy diet with iron supplements with avoidance of junk/ fatty/fast food.
3) Drink plenty of fluids/water and eat leafy vegetables & fresh fruits.
4) Avoid stress by doing yoga/deep breathing regularly (20-30 times at a time)
5) Need proper treatment for above said condition after complete investigation.
6) Maintain personal hygiene and need proper sleeping.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

Wish your good health in future.

Dr Soumen.