Overdosed on warfarin, had seizures after knee surgery. Can warfarin cause seizure?

i was taking warfarin and ended up over dosing and ended in hospital receiving platlets and started having seizures later on after having another knee surgery. and i was wondering if this drug can cause seizure
Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in Epilepsy
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 35 minutes later
Hello and thanks for the query.

Warfarin is not known to cause seizures. As you know - too much warfarin can cause a high risk for bleeding as you experienced. Several things may cause the warfarin level to be elevated including a low dietary intake of vitamin K or any infection of the bowels which affects the normal vitamin K producing bacteria which are native to the bowels.

I would suspect some other cause of the seizure such as pain medication, anesthesia or some other medication which lowered the threshold of your body to allow a seizure to occur. Maybe a good and careful review of your entire hospital course by your doctor would help get to the bottom of it.

I thank you again for the query and hope my response served to be helpful. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Galamaga