Over weight. Trying to conceive. Scan report shows endometrial thickness of 6.4mm. Endometrial thickness and ovary volume normal?

Question
Hi , I have been trying to conceive for the past 6 months. I am 37 years of age and overweight. My Doctor sent me for an ultrasound scan and is quite happy that I should conceive naturally but I am worried to death that something is wrong. I will type what the report says:

US Pelvis transabdominal & transvaginal

Poor quality image with limited resolution due to patient body habitus.

The uterus appears normal in size and echotexture with an endometrial thickness of 6.4mm LMP - day 27.

The right ovary has a volume of 10cc, the left ovary has a volume of 11cc. Both ovaries contain numerous small follicles. PCO cannot be excluded, suggest correlation with clinical biochemistry. No free fluid seen.

Do you see that I should be able to conceive naturally with the above report? What should my endometrial thickness be and my ovary volume?

Last year my cycle was roughly 27/28/29 days the past few months it is now 26-28 day cycle. Do you think I should conceive naturally?

My husband wont have a semen analysis but he does have a child to a previous relationship. He does drink and smoke but he is not alcoholic and has cut this down to see if this helps.

I am really worried as I am now 37. I have had unprotected sex since I was 25 but have never had regular sex, only had regular sex for approx 6 months. I have always had the same partner who is now my husband. Do you still think I have a good chance to conceive naturally. My own doctor says I have PCO but he says as I have regular periods and Clearblue fertility monitor plus day 21 progesterone shows ovulation. On the occasional time I have had no ovulation but always get regular periods.

Thanks for your help and please reply asap as I am going mad.
Posted Sun, 25 Aug 2013 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Deepti Goyal 58 minutes later
Hi XXXXX,

Thanks for the asking the query on XXXXXXX

Your USG report is almost normal except the small follicles in ovary. The endometrial thickness is normal for the day of your cycle and ovarian volume is also normal.If all other factors with you and your husband are normal, then you should conceive naturally with this report.

Your cycles are also normal and you should not face difficulty in conceiving because of that.

About your husband semen analysis, I want to state that its not necessary to be normal always if he had children earlier as age, pollution,smoking and alcohol,all have an adverse effect on spermatogenesis.

Its true that increasing age is also responsible for difficult conception, but in your case, you are still ovulating.

In short, I want to state that, with these reports, you should conceive naturally if all the other factors are also normal.

I would like to advise you a regular exercise schedule which will help you in treating your mild PCOS and in conception also. Also, you should start folic acid tablets. Most important in planning conception is to remain stress free and think of your baby.

Good Luck.

Hope this information is helpful and informative to you.
If you had any further queries you can directly reach out to me on the following URL:
WWW.WWWW.WW

Follow-up: Over weight. Trying to conceive. Scan report shows endometrial thickness of 6.4mm. Endometrial thickness and ovary volume normal? 4 minutes later
Thank you so much for your help

Answered by Dr. Deepti Goyal 2 minutes later
Thats my pleasure. If you find any difficulty, you can reach out to me on above mentioned URL.

Good luck.

Follow-up: Over weight. Trying to conceive. Scan report shows endometrial thickness of 6.4mm. Endometrial thickness and ovary volume normal? 15 minutes later
My husband wont have semen analysis if he cuts back on drinking and smoking and I get something herbal to boost fertility do you think this will help x

Answered by Dr. Deepti Goyal 6 minutes later
Yes, cutting down on alcohol and smoking and making some dietary changes and adding herbs should help in improving spermatogenesis. Increasing multivitamins and minerals specially zinc and antioxidants will help in improving quality and quantity of sperms.

Follow-up: Over weight. Trying to conceive. Scan report shows endometrial thickness of 6.4mm. Endometrial thickness and ovary volume normal? 1 hour later
can you recommend any multivitamins for me to buy? Thanks for myself and my husband x
My husband wont give up smoking a drinking but he is cutting it down by half. He has gone on roll ups instead of cigarettes and this cuts him down dramatically. He is now drinking within the alcohol guidelines. Will this help with his sperm count? Can you please let me know what the guidelines are for a man please, I dont drink or smoke so that is fine but I am overweight and am trying very much to lose weight.

Answered by Dr. Deepti Goyal 49 minutes later

Its really good to cutdown alcohol and smoking to the least possible. It will definitely help in increasing spermatogenesis. For exact guidelines and treatment you should consult some de-addiction center, they will be the best person to guide you on this thing.

For multivitamin you should take any multivitamin preparation containing Vit A, B, C, D and E to increase spermatogensis. You can buy any preparation which is accessible to you.