Over weight. Playing volley ball on beach. Suggestions?

i am 55 years old and 25 pounds overweight. i get winded easily when playing volleyball on beach or running on beach. i usually do 40 minutes on eliptecal machine 2x week without getting winded. am i just out of shape or do i need to see a cardiologist
Posted Sat, 28 Sep 2013 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 53 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You need more training

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

I am so sorry to hear about you getting easily winded when playing or running on the beach. By winded, do you mean easily tired? Hope yes.

We need progressive training for our body to adapt to different exercise levels and be able to tolerate a multitude of different exercises. When you are on the elliptical machine, you who sets the speed and regulate all parameters to your level of tolerance. Also, you work at your pace. While on the beach(running or playing volleyball), all these are dictated by those with who your are playing. If the level should be higher than your regular home machine settings, then it becomes too much work for you and you cannot tolerate it. Thus, you easily get tired. This shows that you are not physical fit and not an illness that needs a cardiologist.

Your exercise schedule of twice a week is less than the average recommended. You need to do this at least 4times a week to acquire and maintain physical fitness. Also, this would help with your efforts to loose the excess 25pounds.

I hope this addresses your query fully. I wish you well and feel free to ask follow up questions for clarifications if need be. Thanks.
Dr. Ditah, MD